Our business model
Our business model is underpinned by our purpose: Sappi exists to build a thriving world by unlocking the power of renewable resources to benefit people, communities and the planet. This is reinforced by our ongoing engagement with our
stakeholders (here) and an in-depth understanding of our operating context (here), both enabling more tangible business creation.
Select to view
- InputsOur six capital inputs are the basis of our value streams
- Our activitiesLeveraging these value streams
- StrategyEnables the realisation of our strategy
- Outputsand generates certain outputs
- OutcomesOur business activities create, preserve and erode value, leading to certain key outcomes
- Actions which we work to enhance in the following ways:
- Our trade-offsThese are detailed throughout this report, with the key trade-offs detailed alongside.
Monitoring and reporting on our ambitious SDG-related 2025 goals aligns with our Thrive strategy of
being a trusted partner to all our stakeholders. See our 2023 Sappi Group Sustainability Report for
more information www.sappi.com/2023GSDR
- We have stopped the development of Sappi Symbio, a natural composite material combining high-quality cellulose from wood with thermo-plastics, due to slow growth in demand. We are now investing our resources into projects showing greater short- and
- Risk: 6 Evolving technologies and consumer preferences
- Risk: 10 Liquidity.
- In response to market overcapacity and in line with our strategy of reducing exposure to graphic paper markets, we are closing Stockstadt Mill and initiated a consultation process for the potential closure of Lanaken Mill shortly after year-end. This could potentially impact employees and morale.
- Risk: 9 Employee relations.
- Production curtailments significantly impeded our operational efficiency, causing us to fall short of our planet-related targets for the year. For example Scope 1 (direct) and Scope 2 (indirect) GHG emissions intensity increased by 16.1% year-on-year. However, we remain steadfast in our commitment to meet and surpass all our Thrive (2025) sustainability goals.
- Risk: 4 Sustainability expectations
- Risk: 5 Climate change.
Grow our business
Sustain our financial health
Drive operational excellence
Our values: As OneSappi, we do business safely with integrity and courage, making smart decisions which we execute with speed.